Singapore Grand Prix Pledges 50% Cut in Energy Emissions by 2028

Singapore’s premier Formula 1 (F1) race organisers are accelerating their efforts to promote sustainability.

Committed to cutting their energy emissions in half by 2028, Singapore Grand Prix unveils a series of green initiatives to set the pace for eco-friendly racing events globally.

Phasing Out Diesel

Firstly, Singapore GP announced on Friday (Sep 8) an ambitious plan to substitute diesel with hydro-treated vegetable oil (HVO) in its power generators. By 2025, 50% of the event’s generators will run on HVO, reaching 100% adoption by 2028.

Trials to test the feasibility of this eco-friendly switch begin this year. Once completely transitioned, this change could slash carbon dioxide emissions by a whopping 52%.

Embracing Renewable Energy Certificates

In 2022, Singapore GP adopted Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) to cover a significant 85% of the Circuit Park’s electricity needs. These certificates help counterbalance unavoidable emissions. Continuing this trend, the company will further rely on RECs to offset any remaining emissions in the future.

Water Efficiency in Focus

Spectators at the upcoming F1 race can expect to see the debut of roll-out container toilets, designed with superior water efficiency. Singapore GP estimates a potential water saving of about 129,600 litres over the race weekend, which spans three days.

A Review of the 2021 Event’s Carbon Footprint

Last year’s F1 event in Singapore produced 2,372 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent. A massive 96.1% of this came from energy consumption, while transport, waste, and water accounted for the remaining 3.9%.

Strengthened Commitment to Sustainability

Sasha Rafi, SGP’s director of sustainability, emphasised the company’s dedication. “We have adopted incremental sustainability measures since our debut in 2008, but with advancements in technology and the evolution of best practices, we now have an opportunity to do more.”

Keeping Pace with F1’s Global Goals

Singapore GP’s announcement aligns with F1’s global vision set in 2019, aiming for net-zero emissions by 2030. This comprehensive initiative spans from the cars themselves to on-track activity and other operational facets. By 2025, F1 aspires to make all its events sustainable. This includes the elimination of single-use plastics and ensuring that waste is effectively reused, recycled, or composted.

Innovative Infrastructure Upgrades

Earlier in the year, the Singapore Tourism Board made a notable contribution by installing solar panels on the pit building. Impressively, these panels can generate a month’s worth of electricity for the building in just a year.

Furthermore, the circuit is undergoing an illumination upgrade. Organisers are replacing traditional track lights with energy-efficient LED alternatives, which they project will reduce electricity consumption by at least 30%. Additionally, they are introducing solar-powered toilets, which they expect to save approximately 130,000 litres of water during the event.

Mark Your Calendars

Race enthusiasts, mark your diaries. The Formula 1 Singapore Grand Prix is set to light up the city from Sept. 15 to 17. With the race’s newfound commitment to sustainability, fans can expect not only high-octane action but also a demonstration of eco-conscious racing at its best.

Be part of our team of contributors! You can submit your videos via the following ways:
1. Whatsapp to 96667153
2. Telegram
3. Facebook groups
How do you feel about this?
You have reacted on "Singapore Grand Prix Pledges 50% Cut in Energy ..." A few seconds ago