There is more than one version of a bad day. And a car accident can be particularly stressful, especially when it’s an accident with a foreign motorist.
The team at Budget Direct Insurance, has the expert help you need:
What to do
1. You are required by law to make a Traffic Police report of an accident with a foreign-registered vehicle. Your report can be made at any local police station or Neighbourhood Police Post.
2. In instances of accidents with foreign motorists in Singapore or Malaysia, and if you have comprehensive Car insurance, you are advised to claim against your own policy. This saves you the hassle of trying to claim against a motorist from another country.
3. If you have a minor accident with no injuries then it is possible to opt for private settlement. In this case, you’re on your own. You will have to pay for any unforeseen repair costs or liabilities that may arise. You’ll need to negotiate repair costs and settle everything in cash terms and have a signed agreement letter. You can use the Budget Direct Insurance private settlement form. Go to www.budgetdirect.com.sg/make-a-claim
What to do
1. If you want to pursue a third-party claim against an insurer in Malaysia, you are advised to submit the following documents to the relevant company:
Claimant’s vehicle registration card (photocopy)
Certificate of Insurance, cover note or policy schedule (photocopy)
Identity card (photocopy)
A police sketch plan and key (if available)
Result of police investigation (if available)
Proof of losses incurred
Additional documents that may be requested include an adjuster’s report with original photographs, a rental-car bill (if a car was rented), as well as proof of payment for any repairs plus bills and receipts for other expenses.
4. If your claim against the Malaysian motorist is unsuccessful, you can appeal to the Malaysian counterpart of Singapore’s GIA – Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM). You can also contact the GIA in Singapore for assistance. Be prepared to argue your case and provide evidence.
sgcarmart.com visual guide to how to claim against a foreign motorist
Ministry of Transport legal advice on claiming against a foreign motorist
What to do if you have a car accident – quick guide from Budget Direct Insurance
Car insurance due? Pay less or get $100
We’re so confident we offer great prices that if your renewal premium with your current insurer is cheaper than our premium for the same level of cover, we’ll give you $100. Even if you decide not to buy from us.